Congressman Beyer Encourages Young People to Get Involved

Photo by Ms. Huftalen

Reporters Luciana (L) and Nyah (R) interviewed Congressmand Beyer during his visit to Longfellow.

The best storytellers are the best political leaders.”- Congressman Don Beyer

Congressman Don Beyer, who is serving his eighth year as a U.S. House of Representatives member, visited Longfellow in April. He serves as the chairman of Congress’s Joint Economic Committee.

This annual visit to talk to the eighth graders is arranged by civics teacher Megan Huftalen. 

“I hope [students] see the real-life application of what we’re learning from the legislative branch in practice,” said Huftalen. “I think they will learn that their legislators are people that they can contact and reach out to and that are there to represent them.”

Throughout Don Beyer’s visit, he gave tips for aspiring congressmen and women. When it comes to preparation, Don Beyer suggests reading widely.

”Any history you can read is very, very relevant for a life in politics,” he says. 

There are numerous ways to get involved with politics. One way is joining a young political party. 

“We’re in an area enriched with good political organizations,” Beyer pointed out. “Those organizations like the young dems in Fairfax will have parties [where you can find] lots of friends who think or feel sort of the way you do.”

He says that the best way to get involved is to volunteer for campaigns, sharing how young people have helped him get where he is today. 

“You don’t have to be an old person, or grown-up, or anything else. In fact, in many of my campaigns, the teenagers were the most important people,”  

When he ran for lieutenant governor, a seventeen-year-old high school student chaired all of Franklin County for him, and he won unanimously. “Eleven delegates; I won all eleven.”

In another race, an eighth grader, who has since become big in politics, was his campaign manager for the whole county at the age of thirteen. So you can be as involved as you want, and it’s a great way to see if you are interested in politics.

Now seventy-two years old, Beyer is serving his fifth term in Congress, which is equivalent to ten years. Throughout his career, he has worked on multiple issues, including the economy, gun violence, immigration, women’s economic empowerment, and many more. 

Beyer has accomplished countless things on his agenda. One example is his successful program reducing the high school dropout rate, and another was preventing teen pregnancies.

Congressman Beyer has created a bright future for our upcoming generations.  He has made it very clear that he is very optimistic for future generations, especially when it comes to their education. 

“In Congress, I am committed to protecting and strengthening our public schools and supporting our educators,” he said. 

From nominating ambassadors to passing legislation, Don Beyer has dedicated his time to the betterment of his community and our Country.