Sports Talk Radio Club Provides Haven For Sports Fans

For sports fans, the Sports Talk Radio Club provides a social outlet to discuss all of the craziness happening across the field of sports as we navigate the COVID-19 pandemic. The group combines students from Longfellow, Cooper, and Sandburg middle schools providing lots of lively discussions about new rules and favorite players from a variety of sports around the nation.

“I think the students just enjoy talking about sports, especially football and basketball,” said Riley Barrows, the head of Longfellow’s after-school clubs and one of the hosts for the Sports Talk Radio Club.

The club discusses a wide variety of topics and different sports.

“Students love to argue with me as to why they think Lebron James is the greatest basketball player of all time and not Michael Jordan,” said Barrows. “Michael Jordan is obviously the GOAT, but it’s fun to listen to their opinions and have a positive conversation. Sports have been a little different because of the pandemic, and this is a great place for students to come and voice their opinions and talk about everything sports.”

The Sports Talk Radio club meets every Wednesday from 2:30 to 3:30. They usually have around 15-20 students in each session to talk and debate.

When asked what after school club is the most popular, Barrows responded, “All after school clubs are popular because we have amazing, energetic, and enthusiastic teachers sponsoring the clubs.”

So, if you are looking for fun, energetic, and lively discussions about everything sports, the Sports Talk Radio club is definitely for you.